Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fall Wardrobe Sewing

....I have a small collection of Kay Unger Vogue patterns, but this is the very first one that I ever sewn.
VOGUE 1329

I did make a rough draft muslin of this pattern, because I didn't want to guesstimate the fit.  My muslin revealed that I should have purchased the pattern that included size 14, because it would definitely fit me better through the shoulder and bust area.  But because I didn't want to spring for the $30.00 pattern again even at 40% off, nor wait for the next $3.99 Vogue pattern sale, I decided to go with what I had on hand.  Using the size 16 necessitated:
  • A minor adjustment of the center front - where I removed 3/4" from the dress front and front yoke; 
  • Somehow or another I had to remove a full inch at the center back; which I decreased by sewing a dart like wedge in the back yoke seam;
  • Decreased the side seam with a 1/2" wedge right at the underarm which I have to do quite often for sleeveless knit garments;
  • This dress also afforded full access without a zipper so I didn't use one.
I decided to use off white poly-interlock (that's what Hancock's calls it; the same fabric at Joann's is called Jet Set.) as my lining.   The dress was so easy to make - THANK YOU KAY UNGER!  Although I like a real sewing challenge every now and again, I can still appreciate an easy peazy project.   It's wonderful to end up with a great looking garment that was easy to make - don't you think?  The only slightly trying part of making the dress was understitching the neckline and  armscye - those were pretty tight places.
Front
Back - definitely need to balance my dressform, it always seems crooked in pictures.  Also need to fix her bowed hips that make my dresses look fat.
This dress will be included in the collage I make of me wearing all my recently made cool weather dresses when the weather changes...

4 comments:

  1. I love it! I have this pattern and I am always eager for a review. thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is very sharp!! I love it, Faye!

    ReplyDelete